Saturday, November 15, 2008

Morbid or Just Me?


I am a strict vegetarian so turkey eating is not something I would take part in to begin with, but I do not force my views on others around me. This is something that I have always found a bit odd though. Turkeys are hunted and eaten on Thanksgiving. Then why in the world do Thanksgiving decorations feature cute, living turkeys?

I was just searching for childrens' online Thanksgiving activities and found so many coloring pages of happy, alive turkeys when happy and alive really do not describe a turkey on Thanksgiving Day. Again, I don't mean this as a judgement against anyone who eats meat, just it seems a bit strange.

It reminds me of a story night we held at the elementary school I used to tutor at. After listening to a story about a cute little turkey, the kids made turkey drawings. As the night was ending, they announced the winners of the door prize and drawing and gave the winning families their prizes: frozen store bought whole turkeys. A few of the younger kids just then made the connection between the cute animals and the meal they eat on Thanksgiving.

The cries put a bit of a damper on the rest of the evening.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hmmm, you always hurt (kill, eat) the one you love?